Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Day In the Life of

Oh, how my life has changed since I did my last 'a day in the life of' back in June,  these lazy days of summer!  And, just so I will always remember what a day in my life is like now, I feel compelled to do another. I keep telling myself I'm not doing anything many mothers and wives across the country do everyday.  I have a whole nutha level of respect for military wives--at least I know my husband is safe and I can talk to him daily.  My hat and my prayers are extended to these families, for what they deal with far exceeds what I have on my plate.  But, here goes, come with me on a day in my life as a single mom trying to sell a house...

6:14 a.m.- Alarm goes off, but it doesn't wake me up because I've been awake for a while--with Cannon.  I put him down so I can get dressed, I'm volunteering in Harrison's class this morning so I have to look more presentable than my usual morning drop-off-get-up.  I have only about 15 minutes before Cannon is demanding more food.

7:00 a.m. - I go into the guest room where the boys have been sleeping lately.  They like sleeping together in the full bed instead of separately in their bunk beds.  It works well for me because it's only one bed to make and they stay together in the bed instead of coming to mine during the night.  Harrison still needs help getting dressed; tucking in his shirt and tying shoes are not skills he's mastered yet.  I make the bed and pick up clothes as we make our way to the kitchen.

7:20- I have a showing this morning at 9:30 so I have to leave the house ready to show. My realtor sets the bar high for how showing should be and I don't like to disappoint, so it takes time to get it all ready. I have this great idea to have the kids eat breakfast in the car!  I hyped it up so they thought it was cool to take their milk and breakfast bar in the car and watch cartoons while I finished up the house.  I was so proud of myself for coming up with this plan, that is until Harrison came back into the house to show me the chocolate milk he spilled down the front of his white shirt while drinking it in the car.  I did not see this coming, I know I should have with the messiness that is my children, but I didn't.  The only other school uniform shirts I had for him were in the washer I just started!  My tight schedule didn't allocate for a stain removal, and for a second I thought about sending him to school stain and all, but I squeezed in with what little time I had left a t-shirt cleaning with my best friend, bleach.  I turned on all the lights in my house, t.v.'s were tuned into a nice classical music channel, a.c. turned down a couple degrees, movie room turned on and ready to play a movie (today it was Thor) Crap, I didn't have time to pop popcorn, I'll have to come back and do that before the showing.

7:55- Pull away from the school after dropping off Harrison.  My car desperately needs gas, Steve always takes care of this for me so it makes me especially miss him as I pull into the gas station.

8:20- Drop off Gavin at preschool.  He loves this school, and so do I, which is why it's hard to get out of there without chatting with everyone.  Fifteen minutes later Cannon and I buckled in and are on our way.

8:40- Quickly stop by my house, feed Cannon while trying to pop popcorn and start Thor.  Give kisses to my last child as I drop him off at Grammy and PopPop's house.

9:00-11:00- Volunteer in Harrison's classroom.  While it's stressful to get there, I do enjoy the time I'm in his classroom.  I like being with the kids and helping them with reading and Harrison is still young enough to think it's cool that I'm there.

11:15- Pick up Cannon and visit with Steve's parents.  Lois tells me I need to ask for her help more and not stress to do this alone and she's right, I know she's right.  It's just hard to ask for help and when things are so busy I don't take the time to think about how to lighten the load.  I just go, go, go. 

11:45- Back home, showing over, feed Cannon and scarf down some lunch before it's time to pick up Gavin from school.

12:30- Gavin chats on the way home about the songs they sang and who his new friends are.

1:30-I dust and sweep while Cannon takes a nap.  What's considered fun has changed in our house here recently, so entertainment for Gavin often consists of helping me clean.  Give that boy a can of Pledge and he's happy as a clam!  He hears the sounds of an aerosol can and immediately comes running, "I wanna help clean sumpin'!" 

2:45- Pack the kids up and get it that dreaded pick-up line for Harrison.  Cannon has zero tolerance for being in a car seat in a  parked car.  Just about everyday when the van door opens for Harrison to climb in, the entire school gets to hear what great lungs Cannon has. 

3:30-Back home to begin what I call the witching hour.  This consists of wrestling, yelling, running and overall chaos from the boys. Lucky for me a copy of Thor has arrived in the mail and with the promise of good, quiet behavior, I let them watch it with a snack.  There is peace in my house.  Cannon is sleeping and the boys are quiet.  I make myself a cup of coffee and return a long overdue call to my GrandmotherJane.

5:00- This is how family dinners look in our house these days.  I'm grateful we have Skype as it really has helped us stay connected. 


6:00- Cannon watches from his Bumbo as Harrison tackles his homework and Gavin plays on the train tracks.  It is torturous to help Harrison work on his handwriting.  I'm not as patient as I know I need to be, but I think sometimes he messes up just so he can use that stinkin' eraser.  "Look Mom, I erased it!" Now watch me write that d backwards again!

6:45- I clean the kitchen, fold and put away laundry, clean the pee stains from all the toilets (I ask myself why I haven't banned the boys to only one toilet so as to avoid this daily task.) and finally help the boys pick up what few toys they have left in the game room. 

7:15- Showers, brush teeth, read stories, do an impromptu rendition of the Hokey Pokey, kiss and hug my two oldest goodnight.

8:00- It's down to me and C-Ball and he's looking way more alert than me.  We snuggle, nurse, nurse, and snuggle some more until he finally gives out about ten p.m.

10:02- It's lights out for me, too.  My body is exhausted.  I fall asleep thinking about an ongoing to-do list that I assure myself will get tackled tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment