Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bruiser Bones

I woke up Friday morning feeling more rested than I have felt in months.  My pal, Shanita, had called me the day before and told me she was picking up my children to come spend the night with her. My initial reaction was, "no way, that's too much!" but she insisted, telling me she had taken a nap that day and she was ready for whatever Cannon would bring her.  Before she could change her mind I packed up my kids, their stuff, an ample amount of milk for Lil' C and they were out the door!  It was really hard to fall asleep without my boys, I even thought about going to pick them up.  I must have drifted off in mid-thought about driving to Shanita's because the next thing I heard was my alarm at seven a.m. 

The kids were out of school on Friday, and taking every opportunity to show the kids a good time, Shanita and I planned a fun morning of swimming, parks and lunch.  Our plans went awry at the park when Harrison pulled an 'Indiana Jones' stunt and tried to jump onto a zip line.  As one might guess, he's no Indiana and as his grip slipped he fell with his arms extended to brace himself.  He's a pretty tough kid, so I quickly realized this wasn't just another bump or bruise when he wouldn't stop crying and holding his left arm.  My heart broke for him during the car ride to the hospital, he moaned a moan that let me know this was really, really painful.


After some Motrin and nasal Fentanyl Harrison was feeling good!  Thank goodness my Mom was there when the tech said it was good Harrison hadn't eaten anything since breakfast as he would be able to go to surgery right away.  Surgery wasn't on my radar, I thought they would push and roll his arm back into place, slap a cast on it and send us home.  It was in this moment that I desperately wished Steve were at my side.  I wanted to be just the mom--not the nurse, planner, and insurance dealer.  I quickly dried my tears in the hall on my Mom's shoulder, Harrison was being so cool, calm and collected I didn't want him to see me upset.



After the nurse let him cover his body in stickers, Harrison picked out the color green for his soon-to-be cast. It was then they gave him a healthy dose of Versed (this children's hospital isn't shy with the pain meds!) and he said night-night to me.  It was very strange being in the pre-op room as a mom, I had been there many times before as a nurse--taking someone else's baby to surgery--this was quite different. The nursing side is much, much easier than the parenting one.  Off to the waiting room where Grammy, G-Jo, Cannon and I waited for updates.  We waited for about an hour before the doctor came out to tell us the surgery was over and Harrison had three pins in his humerus and elbow.  




The pre-op nurse promised Harrison three Popsicles after surgery.  He was very groggy post-op but had no trouble nodding his head when asked if he was ready for his promised treat.  He quickly ate the Popsicle and nodded off until another was brought to him. 



The sedatives hadn't completely worn off but we were cleared to go home. Harrison slept the whole way home, even through the torrential rain that fell over us.  



 Home and happy with another Popsicle in hand.  Steve couldn't stand being so far away when his family needed him, so unbeknownst to me, he had boarded a plane home. The storms shut down the airport here and delayed his flight five hours--having him arrive home after midnight.  It was a special treat when Dad brought Harrison his pain medicine at five a.m.!

In true Bruiser fashion, Harrison woke up Saturday morning and said, "Let's do something fun today.  I know, let's go to a bounce house and jump!!"

.......I know this will be my first of many trips to the E.R. and O.R.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment