Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Friday, July 22, 2011

Questions....


Perhaps it's because I haven't slept more than two hours at a time in over a month, but, lately, Harrison's questioning of everything is leaving me with a short fuse.  I feel bad because he can see it in my face when I'm over the interrogation and he quickly says, "sorry, mom, sorry."

To be honest, not only is it the constant questions, sometimes it's that I don't know the answers.  Here's an example conversation from last night, we went to TCBY to get frozen yogurt, we had just finished roller skating so I wanted the boys to wash their hands before they ate.  Let's face it, have you ever been to a clean roller skating rink?  I think musty smells and stained wall carpeting go hand-in-hand with those joints. I digress.

We're washing our hands in the sink and I tell Harrison he needs to scrub his hands for a little bit with the soap and then rinse under the water.  Thus, the line of questioning begins...

Harrison: "Why do I need to scrub my hands and then rinse?"

Me: "Because scrubbing with the soap is what kills the germs."

Harrison: "What germs are on my hands?"

Me: "I don't know, but judging from where we just came from you have a lot of them."

Harrison: "And germs can make make me sick?"

Me: "Yep."


Harrison: "How do they make me sick?" "How do they get into my body?" "Do the germs have names?" "What do they look like?" "How does the soap kill the germs?" "What happens if they get into my body?" "How will I get rid of them?" "Will I have to go see Dr. Jones?" "Will I have to get a shot?" "What about the hospital, will I have to go there, too?" 

Me: "Aaahhh! Can we just finish up and talk about what flavor frozen yogurt you want??"

Harrison: "Sorry, mom, sorry."

Cue the 'mom guilt' because I feel terrible every time I lose it with his spitfire questioning.  I tell myself I should be thankful I have such an inquisitive child.  And, I am thankful.   It's just sooo many questions and every answer brings about more questions.  Harrison is very ready to start Kindergarten. I hope his thirst for knowledge follows him throughout the years, and I hope he has a very patient and smart teacher!

1 comment:

  1. An inquisitive boy who is also polite? That's quite a combo. Great post! GJo

    ReplyDelete