Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Monday, August 22, 2011

School Days





I have so many blogs to write.  Godmother visits, chocolate class lessons,  funny stories from the mouths of babes, and new life plans to discuss--I am, oh, so behind.  And as much as I hate blogging out of turn, I couldn't let the sun set without sharing my big boy's first day of kindergarten!

 Harrison has been making me count down the days until kindergarten since June. Like any child of mine should be, what had him the most excited was lunch and getting to go to the cafeteria.  We looked at the lunch menu online and he had his lunch all picked out: chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, green beans, crunchy bread and chocolate milk.  I could have guessed at least half of what he had by what stains he brought home on his shirt.  
I think they need kindergarten 101 for us first-time parents. We were not prepared for the carpool lane, prepaid cafeteria cards, pick-ups and drop-offs.  We ended up in the bus lane with Steve yelling at me to, "go, go, go!" It was total chaos, dropping off and picking him up. 

 Gavin went back to the same preschool as last year.  It was a familiar calmness we needed after the chaotic elementary school drop-off.  Gavin greeted his teacher, put up his lunch and backpack then went quickly to playing at his designated chair.  Smooth as butter.

Gavin summed up his entire summer to his teacher by telling her he had a baby brother, his name is baby Cannon and he cries a lot.  After school when I asked how his morning went he excitedly said, "Mom, I didn't say poop or butt!"  Does it make me a bad mom that the bar I place for my kids is low enough that a successful preschool day is measured by not saying inappropriate words? Quite possibly, but I was pleased nonetheless. 

After school Harrison showed me how he learned to hold his backpack only with one strap on one shoulder, like the big kids.  He also told me as I got out the car this morning that I didn't need to walk him in because he was big enough to do it by himself.  He reluctantly agreed to at least one week of me walking him in so I can make sure he knows where to go.  After I helped show him where to put his backpack and how to find his seat he turned and said, "you can go now."  This boy has been ready to start school for quite some time.  I'm just not sure he realizes it's going to be everyday for the next sixteen years.  No need to squash that excitement just yet.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Loved reading about Harrison's first day! He is so grown up, time flies! I'm thinking maybe sometime soon Harrison and I should have a skype date?? love, ashly

    ReplyDelete