Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Monday, January 31, 2011

How A Bruiser Earns His Name

Being a mother shows you strength and perseverance a woman never knew she had, being a mother of boys brings about even more challenges and obstacles a woman never thought possible, and finally, a mother to Bruisers earns you membership to a club where dues are paid in E.R. visits and stories that are shared for years.

I don't think all boys are created the same.  I talk with some  boy mom's who look at me cross-eyed when war stories are shared.  So, perhaps my club is small, and membership is not necessarily a badge to wear proudly. But, seeing as how I seem to be the local chapter's president I feel compelled to share my stories.

This brings me to a day in the life of Gavin.  One day.

Gavin was climbing on Steve's back, my boys' often regard Steve as a jungle gym, he seems to happily oblige.  After reaching the summit (Steve's head) the descent went all wrong and Gavin fell, his mouth hit a miniature grocery chart.  This resulted in causing his front tooth to become somewhat of a back tooth.  The immediate bruising and swelling was even more evident this wasn't your everyday busted lip.  Steve's previous experience as an athletic trainer with the Brahma's hockey team has made him well-equipped to handle such situations. He man-handled his tooth back into somewhat of its original position and applied pressure to the rest of the injured area.  No need for a doctor here.



Later on that same day, (I would like for the courts to note I was at work and not present) Harrison and Gavin were supposed to be quietly watching a movie before bed. I suppose during the intermission the Bruisers decided to start a rowdy game of wrestling.  Wrestling is nothing new in our house, nor is Gavin's famous 'finishing move' he lovingly calls 'booty-face.'  For those who aren't sure what 'booty-face' is, please reference the picture below.



Yes, it is exactly as it looks.  He puts his booty on your head and bounces up and down while he yells, "booty-face, booty-face!"  Harrison is often the receiver of Gavin's antics and usually takes it pretty well.  Something snapped in Harrison during that wrestling match, Gavin must not have honored Harrison's request to "stop", because the next thing heard was a blood curdling scream coming from Gavin.  Harrison pulled a 'Mike Tyson', except he didn't bite Gavin's ear, he bit his.....uh.....please look below, a picture explains it better.


Through a thick layer of pants and undies, Harrison bit hard enough to draw blood.  This warranted a call to me at work, "uh, Gretch, we have a little situation here."  Having no idea what to do I had Steve call the after-hours nurse while I referenced my good friend, Google.  I was even more disturbed when Google presented me with little answers- man, Google always tells me what to do! 

The after-hours nurse gave Steve a list of things to look for and if those symptoms didn't appear a trip to the pediatrician could wait until Monday morning.  Ya, Monday morning, when I was available to take him in.  It was really embarrassing having to explain to the doctor how both things happened in one day.  The doctor's advice to Gavin?  "Come up with a different 'finishing move."  Amen! 

And, that, my friends, is why my boys are Bruisers.

No comments:

Post a Comment