Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Move Over Betty Crocker,

There's a new baker in town.  I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my friend, Christie's, wedding.  The bridesmaids threw a surprise engagement party and I was put in charge of the cake.  I was going to go to my tried and true, Costco, spend $16.00 and be done with it, but then I got to thinking....I can make one of these.  They're not that hard, lots of people make cakes, right?


After a little (okay, maybe a lot!) of internet reading,  talking with some well-seasoned bakers- my Mom, Lois, and Nancy, and having a trial cake run two weeks earlier, I felt confident I could do it!
The bottom layer was strawberry and the top a three layer red velvet. All covered in cream cheese icing. The challenge was to make a cake from scratch that not only looked great but also tasted amazing.  I had my skeptics (Steve) but in the end, even he was impressed.  
Christie's married name will be 'Lay', hence the Hawaiian themed party complete with leis.  I love the cake topper I found, salt and pepper shaker Hawaiian kissing couple--even with magnetic lips to keep 'em locked together!  Steve's mom provided the fresh tropical flowers courtesy of her garden.  Thanks, Lois!
The bride-to-be, Christie, and her fiance, Shawn, were completely surprised!  The party and the cake were a big success.

1 comment:

  1. The cake was unreal. I love that you put in on your blog. You are the best. Thanks again for all of your hard work. Love Christie

    ReplyDelete