Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mrs. Referee

Being a referee is the job I least enjoy about motherhood.  Having to decide 'who fouled who', the appropriate penalty, and when they just need to get kicked out of the game. It's a nonstop job with my boys. 

 Harrison came to me complaining that Gavin wasn't sharing his ice cream with him.  I was confused, asking, "What ice cream?  I didn't give Gavin any ice cream."  Harrison responds in a super-whiny voice, "Ugh, Mom, it's pretend ice cream and he's not sharing!"  Patience having waved bye-bye, and not being able to pretend I'm someplace far, far away, I respond in a less-than-mother-of-the-year tone, "just pretend you've got your own stinkin' ice cream.  Tell 'em yours has sprinkles and syrup, too."

I have a hard enough time dealing with the real fights, toy-stealing, pushes, and punches.  When we start talking fantasy, I'm done.  Can't go there.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that's so funny!! Having to referee pretend fights as well as the real ones will REALLY burn you out fast! I love your creative approach!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I totally wasn't expecting that and I love it! You are such an amazing example of a mother of 2 boys, Greta! As an only child myself, I will be calling on you for advice soon I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete