Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Speak Tummy



Getting Harrison to eat is a daily challenge. While I certainly don't wish for my child to be 'rollie-pollie' I am always a little envious of the Mom's who have to push their child away from the table. Creativity and food go hand-in-hand in our house. Steve's favorite is to add a Superhero in front of any food to make it more enticing; Hulk chicken, Superman spaghetti, Batman stir-fry. This actually works, making Harrison think he could become these characters by simply eating their namesake's food. I, however, have a different approach.

Harrison thinks I can talk to his tummy. Only me. No one else.

He lifts his shirt and I press my ear to his tummy, I do a couple, "uh-huh, okay, I'll let him know" and then I tell Harrison what it is his tummy desires. His tummy usually wants a couple more bites with a sip of milk. Sometimes his tummy is tired and needs a nap. And sometimes his tummy is perfectly full.

I don't know how many years I'll get away with Harrison thinking I speak Tummy. I hope he's not an angry adult when he learns of the lies his mother has told him. I don't know how far "it was for your own good" will get me.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great system!

    "I hope he's not an angry adult when he learns of the lies his mother has told him."

    Maybe not angry about the lies so much, but the sharing of his belief of them with the entire world might earn you a nasty look someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Harrison will be angry at all; you are such a good mom that Harrison will know how much he is loved.

    ReplyDelete