Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gavin Turn's One!


everywhere you see red is still red
Harrison getting ready to ride his bike. We take safety to a whole nutha' level!
Gavin grabbed the cake as we were taking a picture

My Gi-Gi! Too cute!


The prized Elmo cake--strawberry on the inside, from scratch I might add! Who's a good Mom, now??

A year ago at this time I was struggling to walk wondering if I would ever be the same. C-sections are no joke, the recovery is long and painful. But, the end result is well worth it (and worth repeating!) I can't believe it's been a year. My how time flies. Gavin has been taking a couple guarded steps for about 2 weeks but just yesterday really started walking. I love the 'zombie' walk that babies first do with their knees locked and sort of wobbling side to side.

My mother (and Steve's, too) always made fun cakes for me growing up. I had a Strawberry Shortcake, Barbie, and a 'candy bar' cake. I want to do this for my kids because it meant so much to me. Well, it really means even more to me now because I know the work that goes into one of these cakes. I started off easy with Elmo for Geedge's special day. It wasn't too difficult but I did have an emergency visit from Lois (Grammy, or Steve's mom) to help Elmo be red and not pink. It took a ridiculous amount of red dye. So much dye that Gavin is still stained from head to toe (that can't be good for the 'ol insides.)

We celebrated with a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Because I have a lot to be thankful for...and we needed to cook the turkey in the freezer or it was going to go bad! My bestest pal, Nancy, came over to drop off a present for Gavin and kind of was sucked into the festivities. Thanks for being there, Nance, it meant a lot. Gavin got lots of cute summer clothes, it's nice not to have everything be a hand-me-down from his older brother.

4 comments:

  1. Love the cake you did great. I tried my hand in the bunny cake you brought to work. Check it our at our blog. The boys are too cute. We would love to be apart of the Tuesday group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOO CUTE! I LOVE Gavin's little red face! Your cake is AMAZING!!! Great job mom & Happy Birthday Gavin.
    P.S. How does Harrison move his arms and legs to ride the bike? ;-) Safety first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the cake. Definitely gets you rave reviews in the mommy department! It was so good. Even Evan ate some and he doesn't do sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an awesome job, Mommy!!! Sounds like a perfect first birthday. Gi-Gi is walking?!?!?!? Ok, he seriously needs to have a MAJOR pep talk with Nate. Although, I got him to walk to me twice today - praise the Lord!~Fancy

    ReplyDelete