Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Ultimate Punishment


This is often how the ruling of a punishment goes down in our house:

Steve- Gavin, you left the backyard without permission, left the gate open, and was found playing in the neighbor's driveway three houses down.  This is not okay.  You know better.  Your mom and I have to discuss what your punishment will be.

Me- I think maybe a week without t.v.

Gavin- yeah, okay, I guess I deserve that.

Steve- Or maybe a week without video games.

Gavin- Come on!

Me- Better yet, for the next month I get to pick out your school clothes.  No arguing, no negotiating.  You have to wear what I lay out.

Gavin-  Cue the tears with rapid fire words: NONONONONONONONONO! Anything but that!!  You'll make me look stupid!!

It is in this instant that Steve and I make eye contact and mentally agree we have reached a good punishment.  I don't know how long it will be before our kids realize that our Rolodex of punishments are pilfered through until we come upon the one that really squeezes them. We know we have found the right squeeze when we get a reaction like this one.  It's a challenge to find what makes each child tick.  What makes each child bend or truly suffer the consequences of their bad choices.  Our best dip-stick is their reaction to punishment options.

So, Gavin's punishment did end up being me picking out his clothes for a month.  This is not a punishment because I'm terrible at picking out clothes  that I would intentionally dress him to look 'stupid.'  It's a punishment only to Gavin because he takes such pride in how he looks and to take away his privilege of choice was the ultimate consequence.

Here's a sample of a few outfits during his sentence:








Not bad, right?!  With so many hand-me-downs from Harrison, Evan, Ian, and Garrett his clothes options are endless!  I really, really enjoyed putting together outfits knowing he couldn't argue, fuss, or fight.  I hardly knew what to do with the extra five hours a week I gained from not having clothes wars!

Almost makes me look forward to when he makes a bad choice.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment