Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Why I Work Nights- In A Nutshell


I often have to explain myself as to why, twelve years into my job, I still work nights.  I've more then 'paid my dues' and have had more than one opportunity to switch to a more normal schedule.  Truth is, I like nights.  I know it can be hard to understand, why would someone want to stay up when the rest of the world is sleeping just to sleep while the rest of the world is awake. I thought I'd put in in my classic top five list to make it a little easier to see my perspective.

 5.   The hospital is less crowded at night.  The occupational therapist, dieticians, speech therapists, chaplains, doctors, managers, and administrative people are all tucked in their beds asleep, leaving me to do my job best.  That's not to say those people are not very important and needed, just needed more so between 8-5 (when I'm not there)


4. Night nurses are different then their day counterpart.  Not better....just different.  Like a little funnier different, or little more laid back different, or maybe even just a little more like me different.  Whatever it is, I know when you spend twelve hours alone in a room with someone your shift goes a lot faster when you like the person you're with.

3.  Hundred dolla bills y'all!  You make more money.  And if I'm going to be away from my family I want to make the most amount of money I can.


2. Having worked nights forever it's made allowed Steve the opportunity to be more hands on with the kids.  Even though the kids go to sleep a few hours after I leave for work, it's Steve who has to give baths, brush teeth, finish homework, and even take care of the late night snuggling.  I think the kids really enjoy the nights with just Daddy, things aren't quite so regimented and with just a little negotiating they can easily swindle a pushed back bedtime.  I actually think Steve enjoys it, too.  Once he gets the kids in bed he's free to watch ESPN, Pawn Star, and endless car shows without me begging him to turn the channel.





1.Sacrifice worth making.  When I have worked the occasional day shift I miss out on a day entirely with my kids.  I leave for work before they wake up and get home right as they've gone to bed.  Makes my Mommy-guilt go into overdrive not to mention I truly miss being with them.  I like that if I'm willing to sacrifice sleep there's very little I have to miss of this precious time.  I can work two days in a row and in between shifts I can manage to make it to our neighborhood Pumpkin Festival and enjoy a street block party.  My family makes the sacrifice feel easy. 







-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment