Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

St. Paddy's Party

Continuing to be ever inspired by Pinterest, I saw this rainbow fruit plate for St. Patrick's Day that just had to come to life.  This was the catalyst to celebrating a holiday that, otherwise, I would have forgotten.  Celebrating these small holidays helps the mundane of simply making dinner more exciting. 

The Rolo (aka gold coins) was a favorite!  Every fruit bite was followed with a chocolate bite!  Gavin started the day with a green shirt, but his mid-afternoon outfit change didn't include the mandatory green.  He kept getting pinched but refused to change.

I tried to print off the internet a St. Patrick craft for the kids to do while I made dinner, by my printer was not cooperating (perhaps the printer was sensing me becoming too awesome of a mom by crafting and cooking and wanted to knock me down a notch.  Yes, I do often think inanimate objects conspire against me.)  so I had to settle on just reading to the kids why we celebrate this St. Patrick fellow and what makes him special.  Harrison asked me what a saint is, I told him in the simplest of terms that a saint is someone who has Jesus in his heart and  has done extraordinary things for God. 

He quipped with, "Then I'm a saint, too! I'm Saint Harrison!"  We learned that St. Patrick is recognized for bringing Christianity to Ireland.  Father Patty-Pat (as I would have called him in 492 a.d.) would compare the Holy Trinity to a shamrock (you see it now, right?) to help people understand the relationship between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  I looked up traditional St. Patrick's day food and felt uninspired to make any of it. Corned beef and cabbage?  No thank you.   So I settled on a shamrock, or green pepper-inspired pizza.  Cute, huh?

The best part of St. Patrick's story was Harrison's reaction when I told him we are part Irish.  He said, "What?? You mean to tell me I have Irish blood running through me?!" (as he gestures towards his chest)  "Is that why I sometimes make bad choices? Because of my Irish blood it gives me a bad temper?"  I was surprised when he told me he learned at school about Irish people and their stereotypical tempers. So what that Notre Dame is known as the Fighting Irish! Purely coincidental that there are a million limericks warning others not to mess with Irish-folk.  Almost made my Irish blood boil to learn my young lad's head is being filled with such nonsense!

I had to include a cootie-patootie picture of Cannon.  He loves meal time and even enjoyed a couple shamrock pizza bones.

We finished our dinner with an impromptu marshmallow food toss. 
Everyone took a turn being the pitcher and catcher.  

My jaw was sore trying to open it wide enough for Gavin to 'make the shot.' It finally resulted in him practically placing the marshmallow in my mouth like Communion bread.  Ever persistent is my Gavin.  Must be that Irish blood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment