Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Sunday, April 3, 2011

To Say And What Not To Say


Three times I have gone through the gamut of comments people make to me when I'm pregnant.  Yet, I'm still shocked at what some people have to nerve to say to very vulnerable and sensitive pregnant women.  Especially when it comes from women who have been in that very vulnerable place.  I have compiled a list, from the personal comments that have been told me.  This is to say and what not to say.

No:

  • How much time do you have left?!  Gosh, I hope you make it.
  • Oh, how cute!  You've got the pregnancy waddle!
  • How many babies are in there??
  • You look miserable.
  •  Were you this big with your last one?
  • It's okay that you're eating that....you're eating for two right?
  • Hey there, Big Momma.
  • Were you this tired/cranky/slow moving (insert any other crappy adjective) with your other pregnancies?
  • Pregnancy makes your face look different.  --What the heck does that even mean?!?

Yes:
 
  • Pregnancy agrees with you.
  • You were born to be a mother.
  • You have such a pregnancy glow.
  • Gosh, you're that far along?  You don't look it.
  • You can only tell you're pregnant from the front.
  • You look beautiful!
  • This baby is so lucky, you're a great mother.

5 comments:

  1. SO true!! Thanks, Greta, for speaking up about this! Pregnant women deserve more respect ;) BTW, I think your baby bump is absolutely precious....smiling and frowning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, hang in there. i think you look absolutely lovely! ignore all the bad comments. they don't know what they're saying :) but they do provide a good laugh on the internet!

    who's idea was the smiley faces? that kind of sounds like steve thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are beautiful pregnant or not. I admire you for the type of mom you are: Absolutely wonderfully awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lists-- so true! You are such a beauty inside and out, pregnant and not pregnant.

    Someone asked me in Target one time if all my kids had the same daddy-- are you kidding me? Where is the filter?

    Those boys are so blessed to have you as their mom.
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved it. PS - you could be a belly model for Parenting. Perfect tummy, I'm jealous. Keep growing! I'm rounding up those art supplies...

    ReplyDelete