Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Friday, March 25, 2011

A Birthday Celebrated With The Birth of a Garden

When I asked Steve what he wanted for his birthday I was really surprised when he responded with, "I've always wanted to plant a garden."  To me, this sounds like more work than enjoyment, but it was a simple enough request, so a garden he shall have!  He enlisted the help of his boys' and even recruited Justin to come from Austin to help.  It was a family affair.  No 'The Little Red Hen' here!

The attention span of our children, while normal, leaves a lot to be desired.  It wasn't five minutes into working before......


Harrison asked if it was time for a break!

It took some investigation finding the perfect backyard spot.  Time will tell if we chose wisely.

I told Justin he looked like the creepy man next door with this get-up.  What is it with guys and tools?  I think getting to cut the rebar was a highlight for Steve and Justin both.  

Stay away from 'Ol Man Smitty who lives next door. And, seriously, what's up with the hat??

The kids were excited to have someone to play with them while the guys worked.

Steve and Justin can make a game or competition out of anything.  Emptying forty bags of dirt into a raised bed?  Boring!  Trying to cut the bags with a kitchen knife while being tossed into the air like a Ninja?  Thrilling and excited while being slightly dangerous, a mans dream come true!

This boy is our family clown, even down to this half smirk he's recently adopted.  It quickly can morph into a great pirate impression--a family favorite!


 Tomatoes, squash, peppers, strawberries, watermelon, and blackberries--grow baby, grow!
We taught Harrison the three things required for plants to grow; dirt, sun, and water.  And after being covered in the dirt and sun all afternoon nothing feels better than being drenched in water.  I think the plants and our children would both agree......

A very happy birthday to my love.  I hope your garden is a gift that keeps on giving.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You become a gardening expert and then share your knowledge with me. I have always wanted a garden, but I don't have a green thumb. Can't wait to taste your blackberries!
    AND Happy Birthday Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freakin awesome!! lol How's the third beanie baby seed growing????

    ReplyDelete