Bergman's Bruisers


A Look Into My Life Of Raising Four Rough
And Tumbly Boys

Monday, January 4, 2010

To Be Zen In 2010

I am one of those who takes resolutions seriously.  I seriously think about what I want to resolve and I am seriously disappointed if I don't make good on my resolutions by years end.

At twenty-one I read 'Smart Couples Finish Rich' by David Bach.  I certainly wasn't a couple to anyone then, but I knew one day I wanted to be and, of course, I wanted to finish rich. Although much of the information has left me, the most important piece I have kept was the chapter about your daily life matching your values.  David Bach feels midlife crisis' come about from years spent trying to accumulate things instead of living life for what is truly important to you.

"You should select your top five values based more on what your gut tells you than what you think ‘looks’ good to others. Don’t confuse goals for values. Wanting to be rich is a goal but wanting security would be the value."

So, at twenty-one, I made a list of my five top values.  Each year I try and make a resolution based on each one of those values. My values may seem fairly vanilla, but if I successfully achieve a goal from each one of these every year I'm a happy girl.  To all my fellow nurses: my goals are straight from those long care plans, they must be measurable "as evidenced by", timed, and obtainable.

Values and Goals
  1. Spirituality- Attend church twice monthly. This is a hard one considering I work every weekend.
  2. Family- Take one family vacation and one weekend getaway with Steve.
  3. Health- Improve the health of my teeth (that means no cavities left unfilled) and get regular cleanings.
  4. Stability-Establish a savings/college fund for my boys and have six months of expenses in savings.
  5. Happiness- Go on two dates with Steve and have two family outings monthly. 
Sound easy enough, right?  Last year I added two more goals to these five and was successful with three out of seven.  That's only a 43%, otherwise called a big, fat F. I mean, what was I thinking that I could clean out every closet in my house and clean my car once a month??  Hopefully I can fare better this coming year.  How zen will I be in 2010?


3 comments:

  1. you have your Mother's nose and cheekbones. Good for you. My attributes are inside

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this your 'zen' look? I'll have to focus more on my resolutions based on David Bach's theory. Maybe I'll actually achieve them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how come this blog doesnt have a new entry since jan 4. i look foward to reading this blog every day.

    ReplyDelete